Tucson Metro Chamber
2017 Issues Over Easy - February
A new and exciting look at the issues directly affecting your business and our community!
In his landmark book The Coming Jobs War, Gallup Research Chairman Jim Clifton makes the claim that “Healthcare is sucking the good money from a once-magnificent economic engine more than any leader has clearly articulated. The focus has been primarily on “who is without” and “who pays for what”, not on actually lowering healthcare costs.”
Congress has passed legislation on healthcare regarding how it is paid for, not how to lower costs. If we don’t lower costs, healthcare expense to the country and drag on the economy will grow at staggering rates. Other conclusions from Clifton’s book:
- The president and Congress are working on how to FIND the problem, not on how to SOLVE it.
- The Affordable Care Act is not a “healthcare bill”. It is an insurance bill.
- The next big leadership breakthroughs in healthcare will be discovered within the sciences of behavioral economics, not medical labs.
- The only “fix” lies within the highly aligned strategies of cities and companies to improve health and wellbeing, especially focusing on reducing obesity.
- Seven years ago, the U.S. spent $2.5 trillion on healthcare – nearly half of it from Medicare and Medicaid (taxes).
- The problem is only going to get worse because costs are growing at a rate of 6% per year, faster than GDP.
Reserve your seat now for Issues Over Easy, where public policy and business intersect. Expert panelists will share insight into healthcare costs, policies and delivery. This topic affects your business.