First established in 1924 as the Tucson Fine Arts Association, the Museum made its home in the Kingan House on Franklin Street in the El Presidio Historic District. In 1954 the association was officially renamed the Tucson Art Center to establish our exhibition and education mission.
In 1975 the Tucson Art Center moved to its present location and became the caretaker of five historic properties–La Casa Cordova, Romero House, Edward Nye Fish House, Stevens/Duffield House and the J. Knox Corbett House – and our name was changed to the Tucson Museum of Art to reflect our collecting activities.
Today the Tucson Museum of Art and Historic Block encompasses an entire city block in historic downtown, and features original and traveling exhibitions focusing on Art of Latin America, Art of the American West, Modern and Contemporary Art and Asian Art as well as tours, education programs, studio art classes, and Museum Store to delight and educate visitors. The Tucson Museum of Art serves the city and surrounding regions and is committed to broadening public access to the arts, enriching daily life.
The Museum has a free lot for visitors on the north end of the historic block off Washington Street. Metered street parking is also available as well as a number of pay parking garages/lots around the Museum.
The Museum is located on a full city block bounded by West Alameda, North Main Ave, West Washington, and North Meyer in the historic El Presidio neighborhood located in the heart of downtown Tucson.